"Here is the remedy for eliminating all inauspicious things within the heart...

"Here is the remedy for eliminating all inauspicious things within the heart...
...which are considered to be obstacles in the path of self-realization. The remedy is the association of the Bhagavatas." -Srimad Bhagavatam (1.1.18)

Saturday, February 10, 2007

The 12 Step Program- which addiction is it today?

  1. We admitted we were powerless over our addiction - that our lives had become unmanageable
  2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity
  3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood God
  4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves
  5. Admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs
  6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character
  7. Humbly asked God to remove our shortcomings
  8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all
  9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others
  10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it
  11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood God, praying only for knowledge of God's will for us and the power to carry that out
  12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to other addicts, and to practice these principles in all our affairs
Help. I am totally addicted to self gratification. I say self with a lowercase "s" because endeavoring to please my own senses is far removed from Self gratification, which is endeavoring to please Krsna. It's just that I can't seem to understand that I am not this material body. I think I understand that I am an eternal soul, but I still show symptoms of bodily identification like pride (I'm very spiritually advanced but how come every says I am just now beginning my spiritual life?), envy (I wish the community loved me the way they love that guy), greed (I want the milk, why does that pujari always take all the milk, I'm the milker, i should have some milk!), and lust (I sure would like that turquoise shawl Krsna is wearing tonite). Silly, right? But I can't seem to think outside of my own desires for intelligence, beauty, renunciation, even popularity and power at times. OK, most of the time.
Some of you might be asking, what's the problem. One should strive for such endeavors and even better if you can get paid while doing it. The problem is that I have tried to fulfill my material desires. I have reached points in my life where I couldn't imagine anything could be much better but eventually the feeling faded and, there I was, left wanting for more. Again and again, I felt an emptiness in my restless heart.
In Chapter 2 of the Bhagavad Gita, Krsna says, "A person who has given up all desires for sense gratification, who lives free from desires, who has given up all sense of proprietorship and is devoid of false ego-he alone can attain real peace." In the purport, Prabhupada states, "To become desireless means not to desire anything for sense gratification. In other words, desire for becoming Krsna conscious is actually desirelessness. To understand one's actual position as the eternal servitor of Krsna, without falsely claiming this material body to be oneself and without falsely claiming proprietorship over anything in the world, is the prefect state of Krishna consciousness...Real desirelessness is desire for the satisfaction of Krsna, not an artificial attempt to abolish desires."
Because it has had a tremendous impact on helping my father and grandfather, along with countless thousands of other people, overcome their alcohol and -you name it- addictions, I think the 12 Step Program is awesome. Besides the fact that the program works universally, I like the 12 Steps because they recognize that when we find ourselves in powerless situations under the control of external influences, best to fully surrender to God and beg for help. Since God is the ultimate controller, with his help and guidance, one can overcome all material addictions and attain true love of God.
So let me take some of the advice of the 12 Steps and apologize to all those who I have negatively influenced or encouraged in some way to pursue mundane, material desires. I am striving to see all of creation as glorious, because, first of all, it is Krsna's creation, and, most of all, because it is our only medium for recognizing and glorifying God. Therefore, I will try not to abuse it any longer for my selfish, material wants. Please forgive me, o mortal bodied, eternal souls!

No comments: