"Here is the remedy for eliminating all inauspicious things within the heart...

"Here is the remedy for eliminating all inauspicious things within the heart...
...which are considered to be obstacles in the path of self-realization. The remedy is the association of the Bhagavatas." -Srimad Bhagavatam (1.1.18)

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Where the grass is greener...























The morning began with the usual suspects, who according to Jaya Prabhupada, were anxiously awaiting the other side and the promise of greener grass and fresh pasture. After two unsuccessful attempts to round up the herd, the crew was on the verge of giving up. After a short pep talk, Jaya Prabhupada reminded us that the cows will only listen if we present ourselves authoritatively, with a clear understanding of what we need them to do. Sure enough, three was the charm and the five-mile journey up to Bahulaban began.

The skies threatened rain all morning but hardly a drop was felt. The cows being far more familiar with the path than any of their herders, took to the hike like well-seasoned pros.

With camera in hand, I quickly found myself in the rear, delighted by the wide array of blooming forest flowers and fiddle heads ready to unfurl. White trilliums decorated the trail side amongst the well-postured May apple leaves and the occasional patch of star flowers.

For the folks who don't know, New Vrindaban has got some crazy history. If you take a walk in the woods, in any direction from the current temple building, an incredible array of old cabins, dilapidated houses, and mysterious temples quickly present themselves.

Old Vrindaban is one of the best finds. Crazy beautiful stained glass wall, left only to be appreciated by the occasional vagabond and renegade sapling bursting through the floorboards. It reminds me of the temporary nature of all material things and opulences.

I never actually made it to the new pasture. I took my time and relished the forest splendor. Walking stick in one hand, my prayer beads in the other, I've always been a sucker for woods. Not many places I'd rather be really. Now it's time, though, that I brush up on my plant identification skills and reestablish some personal relationships with so many plant friends I've left behind or have forgotten. Anyone recognize our purple friend pictured above?

"Krishna consciousness is about loving relationships."- this being one of the very first sentences Varshana Swami shared with me last fall. The extent of these relationships is limitless. So many souls surrounding us, but have we introduced ourselves and extended our services? Every plant my guru, each blade of grass, my inspiration. The cows, my redeemers, devotional service, my shelter.


No comments: