"Here is the remedy for eliminating all inauspicious things within the heart...

"Here is the remedy for eliminating all inauspicious things within the heart...
...which are considered to be obstacles in the path of self-realization. The remedy is the association of the Bhagavatas." -Srimad Bhagavatam (1.1.18)

Friday, May 4, 2007

Transcendental Dry Cleaning


I took a quick trip home to visit the folks in Buffalo this past weekend. My big sis, Nicole, and cousin, Natalie, turned 30 and a big party marked their achievement. Being surrounded by family and friends, I was showered with many precious gifts like unconditional love, material comforts, and lots of reality checks.

My mom's best friend Ruth is one of the more fabulous women I have ever met. We share a similar eccentric personality. Somehow I found myself at the over-the-hill dinner table and the discussion was death, but Ruth was really yukking it up. She said something like, "I'm not ready to go yet because I still haven't found anything to wear." Then she turns to my mom, looks her up and down and says, "And these women aren't helping me much either." Ruth is hilarious.

In the Bhagavad Gita, Krishna says, "As a person puts on new garments, taking off the old ones, similarly the soul accepts new material bodies, giving up the old and useless ones" (2.22).

Personally, I'm tired of doing laundry. Fortunately, Krishna Consciousness provides an opportunity to never do laundry again.

No comments: