"Here is the remedy for eliminating all inauspicious things within the heart...

"Here is the remedy for eliminating all inauspicious things within the heart...
...which are considered to be obstacles in the path of self-realization. The remedy is the association of the Bhagavatas." -Srimad Bhagavatam (1.1.18)

Thursday, January 10, 2008

100 Cow Patties On The Wall, 100 Cow Patties On The Wall...

Hare Krishna, party people! In Sri Mayapur Dhama, the party starts at 4am and the temple is packed full with hundreds of pilgrims every day. It's helpful for the ego to get a nice kick in the head while offering prayers and dandavats. But what can I say, I am in awe and reverence of the sincerity of the devotees here and have been blessed with this opportunity to see what it really means to love God.
I apologize for not keeping up with my posts. I actually arrived in Mayapur around November 13th, literally walked into the dhama after three days of travel, and was greeted by thousands of devotees on yatra celebrating Srila Prabhupada's Disappearance Day. An auspicious sign to say the least. The last two and half months have been full. Classes started at the end of November and we've already finished studying Nectar of Devotion, Nectar of Instruction and the first nine chapters of Bhagavad Gita. Four papers, 25 memorized verses, and one open and one closed book exam later, sastra is oozing out of my pores. Lets see if I can't apply it in my so-called devotional life.All glories to the bucket. Living in India, one's life revolves around a bucket. Bathing, heating up water, washing my clothes, rinsing, cleaning, carrying, all your daily needs in the convenience of a large plastic bucket. Myself and Evelyn share a small room in the old ladies' ashram and it is hardly austere. The roof is the best part and I call it my office.
Rice, dal, sabji, chutney, and sweet rice are also oozing out of my pores. Two words- maha prasadam. I have discovered the glories of black salt and the magnificent khirkadum. Papaya juice, black grapes and succulent mandarin oranges for breakfast. Fresh samosas, paneer sandwiches, ginger tea and gulabjamons for dinner. Yes, you can expect a feast when I return.

No comments: