"Here is the remedy for eliminating all inauspicious things within the heart...

"Here is the remedy for eliminating all inauspicious things within the heart...
...which are considered to be obstacles in the path of self-realization. The remedy is the association of the Bhagavatas." -Srimad Bhagavatam (1.1.18)

Friday, May 18, 2007

A tribute to my Mom.


I received the following letter a few days ago from my mom, thanking me for my hospitality after her first visit to New Vrindaban a few weeks ago. Feeling fortunate to have such a open-minded and supportive mother, I want to glorify her by sharing this letter with everyone.

Hi Alysia,
The pictures turned out beautifully- didn't they? The colors are so vibrant- they reflect the good energy of New Vrindaban.

I don't know why you apologized when you wrote "sorry I wasn't a better host". You were a terrific host -you couldn't have paid more attention to me- introducing me to so many people and showing me around. And I'm so glad I stayed in your room. It was really convenient and gave me a chance to chat with Olivia. She was so nice. Please say "hello" to her for me. You were both so careful "tip-toeing" around me so as not to wake me up at 5AM.

Sorry for leaving so abruptly Wednesday morning. I had to get home for an evening meeting, so I was eager to hit the road- but I also needed time to "digest" everything that I saw, learned, and experienced with you. You have to admit, it was a bit of a cultural shock...and something that I'm not used to...at all. But I'm really OK with it, and besides that, everyone I met impressed me as being sincerely nice, friendly and caring people. Besides that, it's your life and your decision. I hope I didn't offend anyone (including you) with giving my opinion of the worship of "deities." I honestly would have kept it to myself had I not been asked what I thought. And now that I know how strongly your beliefs are about not eating meat, when you are home I'll respect that by trying to alter our menus whenever possible.

I'm pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed being at a place that I had negative thoughts about. The only thing that bothered me was (as I already shared with you) a feeling of detachment with families- having to choose between family and religious beliefs. But again it's your decision. We will always be here for you and love you- no matter what! I love you a ton and love that you are loving where you are.

No comments: