"Here is the remedy for eliminating all inauspicious things within the heart...

"Here is the remedy for eliminating all inauspicious things within the heart...
...which are considered to be obstacles in the path of self-realization. The remedy is the association of the Bhagavatas." -Srimad Bhagavatam (1.1.18)

Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Absolute! Independence Day.

The celebration of the completion of H.H. Bhakti Tirtha Swami’s samadhi is just two days away and the excitement is rising. The last three weeks, the samadhi work crew and the hometeam ashram residents have been plugging away every day to prepare for the festival. I took to the responsibility of temple grounds beautification.

Here are some before and after shots of a few gardens surrounding the temple that I worked on. I’m pleased with the results and am ready to party.

My stay at Gita Nagari has been enlightening. I came desiring engaging service in a
Simpler, more austere environment and that’s exactly what I have found. No hot water
Here thus ice cold showers morning and night have challenged my determination and so-called renunciation.

Temple program begins at 4:30am, a half hour earlier than at New Vrindaban. Working out in the garden till sunset has me in bed by eleven, which is way too late. Most of the time, I lead morning program by myself because I am the only human in attendance (I’m thankful Gita Nagari at least has plants in their temple) which means I’ve finally had to memorize all the prayers, mrdanga beats, etc. These challenges have been good for me.

Tonite I’m celebrating “Independence” Day, Vaisnava style, complete with vegan marshmallows and campfire kirtan. Motha’ Deva Deva and her husband are hosting the sankirtan party at their house, featuring darshan and lecture with H.H. Dhanurdara Swami.

In Mexico, there are at least three Independence Days that I have clebrated, one from the Spanish imperialists, one from the French aristocrats, and one from the Catholic Church. But here in bhakti yoga world, every day is Absolute! Indepence Day, regardless of temporary government institutions and unstable maneuverings of political parties. Entonces, saca la pachanga y empieza esta fiesta de sankirtana con nosotros todos los dias!

No comments: