"Here is the remedy for eliminating all inauspicious things within the heart...

"Here is the remedy for eliminating all inauspicious things within the heart...
...which are considered to be obstacles in the path of self-realization. The remedy is the association of the Bhagavatas." -Srimad Bhagavatam (1.1.18)

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Officially 27.


The following weekend, the van entourage made the daring pilgrimage all the way back north to Vancouver for Ratha Yatra . The trip was highlighted by a quick stop in Berkeley, where I met up with Lacie. Lacie is my soul sista' and also partly responsible for my original stay at New Vrindavan. She paved the way for my arrival and I am eternally grateful. With her encouragement and example, I was able to give ISKCON open ears and an open heart.


The best thing about the Vancouver temple is the lone brahmacharini, Su Devi Sudari Dasi, and her authority, Sri Tulasi Maharani. Su Devi is fired up and all about distributing books. She also daily clips Tulasi manjaris for Sri Krishna's garland. The entire weekend, there must have been more than 30 women using her bathroom and shower morning and night, yet being the perfect hostess, she welcomed each and everyone of them.


Su Devi's roommate, Guru Mukha dd, is also amazing. One night she described to me how she found Krishna Consciousness in China. However, in communist China, bhakti yoga must be practiced underground in secrecy. She explained the trials the devotees must undergo simply to distribute one book or gather for kirtan.

I woke up the following morning feeling ashamed at how I take for granted the temple, my freedom to worship in the temple and the access I have to an abundance of Vedic literatures. When faced with such opulence and abundance, it is easy for me to lose sight of the great fortune I have causelessly been given.

I spent all weekend living in the groves of Vrindavana, taking shelter of the lotus roots of Sri Tulasi Maharani. By the indication of Tulasi's vigorous luster and health, the devotion of the Vancouver devotees has become tangible.



By Krishna's arrangement, I met up with a long lost friend from Albuquerque who just happened to see the parade from her apartment building and who just happened to see me in the front of the procession. The last time we saw each other was one year ago to the day at my 26th birthday party last year. We spent the evening together catching up, bewildered by the spontaneous arrangement. The next morning she took me to a cafe where her classmate's cow painting exhibit was hung. Beautiful! And, yes, I am now officially 27.

No comments: